Programme-specific FAQs can be found directly on the pages of the study programmes "Food Quality and Safety" (M.Sc.) and "Global Food, Nutrition and Health" (M.Sc.).
- When do the study programmes start?Hide
Our programmes can be started for the winter semester (mid of October) and the summer semester (mid of April), respectively. The exact date will be in your admission letter.
The start of lectures for the winter semester 2020/21 will be postponed from 12 October to 2 November, 2020, and the end of lectures from 5 February to 12 February, 2021.
The official start of the summer semester 2021 is 01 April 2021, lectures will start on 12 April 2021.
- Where will the study programmes be taught?Hide
The programme will be taught in the newly founded Faculty of Life Sciences which is located in Kulmbach (around 25 km away from the main campus of the University of Bayreuth). Kulmbach is home not only to several internationally operating food companies, but also to the Max Rubner Institute, the Bavarian Control Authority for Food Safety and Veterinary Medicine, the State Technical College for Food Technology, the Competence Centre for Nutrition, and the Kulmbach Clinical Centre. All these bodies are involved in various research projects and in the Faculty's teaching activities.
- Regarding the current situation with Covid-19, will the assessments and enrolment proceed as planned?Hide
For the moment, we assume that all assessments, the later enrolment, and the start of the summer semester will proceed as planned. We will keep you updated on any changes. Further information and updates on the current situation for students and staff of the University of Bayreuth can be found here.
- Are there any tuition fees?Hide
There are no tuition fees for our study programmes. However, in Germany, students at all higher education institutions must pay a semester contribution. This payment (at the University of Bayreuth: about 110 EUR per semester) has nothing to do with tuition fees; rather, it covers your contributions to student services and the student government. At the University of Bayreuth, it includes a "semester ticket" that allows you to use public transport in the region and entitles you to eat at reduced prices in the university canteen.
- Where can I find information about typical study contents and job perspectives?Hide
An introductory presentation of the study programmes and mini-lectures about typical study contents can be found here.
- May I apply for both master's programmes?Hide
Yes, it is possible to apply for both master's programmes. However, you must write a separate letter of motivation for each study programme in which you explain why you are applying for the respective programme.
Application for master's programmes
- How to write a letter of motivation (written presentation of course-specific competences)?Hide
State in max. two pages the skills and expertise that qualify you for the study programme according to the following criteria:
- Verbal skills: showing that you are able to express yourself precisely and comprehensibly in the English language.
- Interest: explain the connection between personal interest and the interdisciplinary character of the study programme.
- Interdisciplinary study skills: study specific professional training or internships, periods abroad, awards such as scholarships etc.
- Do I have to apply online? Hide
Yes, please use the following link: https://campusonline.uni-bayreuth.de/ubto/webnav.ini. A submission of printed (certified) copies by mail is not necessary.
- Can I send my application by e-mail or mail?Hide
We are sorry, but we can only accept applications through our online portal which is open from 15 April to 1 July (for a start in the winter semester) and from 15 October to 15 January (for a start in the summer semester), respectively.
- If I send an e-mail containing my CV, transcript of records, etc. could you please tell me my chances in getting admitted?Hide
We are sorry, but we cannot do any pre-evaluation. Please check out carefully the entry requirements listed at our webpage as well as the assessment procedure. If you think, you fulfil all requirements and would like to be admitted to our programme, please submit all required documents exclusively through our online portal. E-mail attachments cannot be considered for evaluation.
- Could you help me with my application in CAMPUSonline?Hide
A brief application guide can be found here. For all other technical problems (unusual error messages, page cannot be loaded, etc.) with CAMPUSonline, please contact the CM Help Team.
- I cannot submit all required documents in time. Can I nevertheless apply for one of your programmes?Hide
Yes, of course. Please create an account and submit all available documents before the application deadline (winter semester 1 July; summer semester 15 January). Single documents can be uploaded latest by 15 August (winter semester) and 15 February (summer semester), respectively.
- I have applied through the online portal. What is the next step?Hide
After we receive your application, two members of our selection committee will rate it in a 2-step aptitude assessment process (step 1, evaluation of submitted application documents; step 2, interview). We try to assess as many applications as possible already before the application deadline. Interviews will start at the end of June (winter semester) and December (summer semester), respectively.
- Until when will I receive information, if I get an invitation for an interview?Hide
We try to assess as many applications as possible already before the application deadline. Please understand that due to the large number of applications, the aptitude process might take a while. We therefore ask you to refrain from asking about the status of your application.
- How will the interviews take place?Hide
Applicants from foreign countries do not have to travel to Bayreuth to participate in the interview. Instead, we will arrange an online interview (preferred) or a telephone interview. Please note that travel expenses such as travel costs, accommodation or food, which arise because of participation in the selection process, cannot be refunded.
- I have already completed a master's degree. Should I submit the master's certificate as well?Hide
It is not mandatory to submit the master's certificate. However, we strongly recommend enclosing it, as it represents a valuable piece of information for our selection committee and might prove the information about your master's study in your CV.
Information for newly admitted students
- Where can I find information about the visa application procedure?Hide
Click here to find detailed information about visa requirements for your country and tips on applying for a visa.
- Where can I find accomodation?Hide
Since all lectures will take place at our faculty in Kulmbach, we highly recommend to look for accomodation in Kulmbach. There is a brand-new student dormitory next to the town center. (Furnished) rooms are also offered on the private housing market.
- How high are the living costs in Kulmbach?Hide
Prices for accommodation, food and leisure activities are moderate compared to other German student cities. Nevertheless, prospective students should consider early on how they will finance their studies. Students in Germany spend an average of €850 on living expenses. Of course, these costs can vary considerably, depending on your lifestyle and the place of residence. The following information provides an initial overview of the costs that students in Kulmbach will definitely have to pay:
Rent (depending on accommodation)
between 300 - 600 €
Health insurance (if you do not have a European health insurance policy)
ca. 105 €
ca. 35 €
starting at 150 €
Further costs (clothing, copies, leisure activities, medication)
ca. 70 €
starting at 660 €
- Until when can I enroll at the University of Bayreuth?Hide
The enrolment deadline is 09 April 2021 but we recommend to enroll as quickly as possible as you need access to the online classes and online services.
- Where can I obtain an official attestation of in-person teaching in the summer semester 2021 for submission to a German mission abroad?Hide
Newly admitted students receive this document together with, or a few days after, admission via CampusOnline. Students who are already enrolled can contact Welcome Services of our International Office to receive the corresponding written statement.